Friday, September 09, 2005

Tom, Shut Up About the Paxil

Basically, I like Tom Cruise. He's one of the few actors I know of who is extremely good-looking and actually CAN act. I loved Rain Man and I loved him in Collateral. But he's been acting pretty weird lately. Ever since this whole Katie Holmes thing, he's been completely bizarre. And when I read about him criticizing Brooke Shields for taking Paxil to help her through post-partum depression, I really had to scratch my forehead.

I never thought I would be sticking up for Brooke Shields, but here I am. Just who the hell does Mr. Cruise think he is, to be able to criticize her on a point such as this? First of all, he's not a woman, so he has no idea what it is like to give birth and what the after-effects are. Secondly, I know everyone is entitled to their religious beliefs, but they are not entitled to impose them on everyone else. Mr. Cruise is a dedicated Scientologist, this has been well publicized, but to suggest that psychotherapy and psychotropic medication is evil is, well ... fucked up.

I, too, am a user of Paxil. I started taking it about 3 or 4 years ago, when I just couldn't handle my depression anymore. I suffered from depression for more than 20 years before I finally bottomed out and decided I would do anything to try and get rid of it. Plus, I also had some issues with panic and social anxiety disorders. This made Paxil the ideal choice for me, because it treats all these problems. For me, it has been an absolute Godsend, and probably for Brooke too. Unless you have been in the abyss of depression, the absolute blackness and hopelessness of it, you can't start lecturing other people about how to deal with it. As far as I'm concerned, anything you do, short of murder, rape and incest, to get rid of it is fine, as long as it works.

And frankly, does he really think that he is the epitome of healthy psychological behaviour? I never saw the infamous Oprah episode where he jumped up and down on her couch, extolling his love for his new galpal. But of course I read plenty about it. Tom ... do yourself a favour. Stick to the acting and cut the pontificating. I like you so much better when you play vampires and aging hit-men.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home