Monday, May 01, 2006

My New Car (sort of)

My beloved little Bug is in the shop being fixed after its unfortunate encounter with the cab driver, and the insurance company has arranged for me to have a rental car while it's being repaired. It's a silver Toyota Corolla. It's a nice car, but it feels like a fucking tank compared to the Bug, and the brakes on this thing are deadly. When I started driving it away from the body shop this morning, there was a red light right ahead of me and I touched the brake and nearly hit the ceiling (literally). I'm surprised the airbags didn't go off. Those things are tighter than a ... well, I won't go there. But they're tight. :-)

It's weird driving another car after you're used to your old one. It feels like you're walking around in super high-heeled shoes or something, and you're trying to figure out the best way to balance yourself and get acclimated. I drove it to work after my first run home with it and felt reasonably comfortable. I'm sure when I have to take it back, I'll miss it. But nothing can compare to my little loveBug. :-) God, I love that car.

My love for my car is especially poignant because I didn't start driving until last year, so you can do the math and figure out how long I had to depend on my feet and public transportation to get around on a daily basis. Add winter storms, about four heavy shopping bags at a time, shoes that made my feet bleed, and either horribly hot or cold weather and you know what I'm talking about.

Yes, cars can be a pain in the ass. The price of gas is obscene, if you have to repair them you have to pay thousands, they have to be maintained and there are all kinds of fees and miscellaneous things that keep cropping up with them. Still, I'll take owning and driving a car over going back to being a regular subway- and bus-user. I sympathize so much with people who have no means of getting a car, because I know how shitty it is. But I figure I put in my time, and now I can enjoy the luxury of being chauffeured around in my own little vehicle by my own little (okay, not little) self.

My VW RULES!!!!!!! (Viking Cheer!)

2 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

Viking cheer? I think you need to audio post a viking cheer so we all know what that sounds like :)

12:50 PM  
Blogger emily pound said...

Ian: Unfortunately I don't have the techno know-how to do that, but I can try and approximate it in words ... something like ...

WUNDEBAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Jennie: I think all people who have Bugs must love them. For me, it's the shape of them, they're so endearing.

I hear you about the bus ... getting up at 4 a.m. ... man! It hurts just reading about it! :-)

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home