Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The Grass Isn't Always Greener

In my case, it's actually been more like a big brown patch of dog-piss delight. And believe me, that is no exaggeration.

My husband and I have been to see a counsellor a few times. To my surprise, it has been somewhat helpful. Whereas before, I always went halfheartedly, this time I went with an open mind, and an actual willingness to get something positive out of it.

Altogether, me and my husband have been separated for a little over 10 months. It has been an amazingly difficult, frustrating, educational experience. When I left -- don't ask me why -- I thought it would be easy. Maybe it was all those fucking self-help books that warp my bookshelves and weigh them down with platitudes like, "If there's a will, there's a way", and "If you can dream it, be it." I have nothing against positive thinking. As a matter of fact, I believe that positive thinking is essential for a happy life. However, there is a big difference between positive thinking and delusion. I think I deluded myself in a lot of ways when I left. I thought I would not have that much trouble meeting someone else -- I'm talking just meeting someone else, never mind having a relationship! Even meeting someone seemed impossible to me. Everyone I connected with was either a total loser or just ... trifling. Perhaps if I stuck it out another five years, out of the law of averages I would finally connect with someone who I believe is "meant for me". But you know what? I'm not willing to take that risk anymore.

My husband told me from the beginning he didn't want me to leave. He told me he loved me. He told me that even though I had hurt him beyond his ability to explain it, he still wanted to be married to me. This, in spite of the fact that he found out I was cheating. This, in spite of the fact we spent half our time screaming at each other either in person or over the phone. The coup de grace came one night after work, after I told him I wanted a divorce, and had stopped by the house to try and temporarily settle a couple of things. Despite the fact we had spent about half an hour screaming at each other on the phone that afternoon, when I walked in I could tell he was just glad to see me, and when I sat down on the couch, I saw a copy of the Holy Bible on the coffee table. I realized then that this man had reached the end of his tether, and I realized I had too. Leaving, I thought, would give me a new lease on life. I would finally be happy after I got a few glitches out of the way. What a crock.

The counsellor we went to see ended up making me realize a lot of things, one of which is that I have blamed my husband for a lot of things that are not his fault at all. I realized this once I lived on my own, but I tried to keep that realization at bay as long as I could. When an unpleasant reality begins to sink in, you tend to try and crawl away from it as much as you can. Well, I can't crawl anymore.

I realize now that I have been blessed to have a husband who has never gone away, no matter how much I tried to push him away. I have decided that instead of whining and moaning about the differences between us, and expecting him to compensate for every single one of them while not compensating for my own faults, I am going to be grateful. This guy has never gone away. He has never told me I'm too fat. He has never told me I'm not young enough or hot enough for him. As a matter of fact, he has told me time and again how much he loves me and how much I turn him on.

Yours truly has woken up from her deep slumber. The hard realities of life have been this Sleeping Beauty's princely kiss.

LIFE IS NOT PERFECT. IT NEVER WILL BE.

Time to start recognizing this, and making up for lost time, instead of chasing some futile fairy tale.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Emily!

Wow - what a great post!! I am glad things are going to work out for you and your husband - marriage is NOT for the feint of heart. I applaud your courage to leave in the first place. Your soul was on a journey and for your marriage to truly work and you both to be happy it was what you needed to do - I hope you don't feel guilty about that - because you shouldn't!

All the best wishes,

Julie

6:08 PM  
Blogger unreuly said...

it seems as if there is a new journey ahead of you. i wish you strength, courage and grace on what is sure to be an uphill trip.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Good for you! I hope everything works out for you, your life is what you make of it, and if both of you are willing to work on your marriage to make it better then I say GO FOR IT! He obviously loves you exactly as you are and that's a great start if nothing else.

6:01 AM  
Blogger hugehugefan said...

good luck on this new tack may it not be another upwind leg, but a long, smooth reach with the wind at your sails.

If you go back with your husband be a more discriminating consumer, knowing what you really need and what you are willing to pay for it. Don't sweat the little stuff so much and focus on what's really important for you.

Having been away from him and learning on your own what's really important to your happiness, make sure you get what you need.. think the Stones... You don't always get what you want... but if you try real hard, you just might find... you get what you NEED...

Make it happen.

I'm really happy for you!!!

Huge

12:53 PM  
Blogger emily pound said...

Julie, Roselle, and Andrea,

Thanks, ladies, for your kind and warm words. I have learned a lot about myself and my husband from this separation. Julie, you're right ... marriage is not for the faint of heart. It is not a fairy tale, and it is not the answer to all of a woman's problems or dreams. Ideally, it should be a partnership where there is mutual respect and love ... romance is nice, but is it the most important thing when you're married? It definitely has its place ... but I don't think it's the most important thing anymore.

2:04 PM  
Blogger emily pound said...

Huge,

Thank you, sweetie. I love using the Stones lyric as an example ... that's it exactly. You CAN'T always get what you want. But you sometimes find, you get what you need.

Can't say it better than that.

2:05 PM  
Blogger dreaminglily said...

Sometimes you need to lose what you've got in order to appreciate it. There are moments when we all need a break. A step back. A moment to find ourselves. You've changed since you married him, and you probably needed to find yourself again. We all need it.

I just hope you find what truly makes you happy. Love isn't perfect and romance doesn't last like when you're newlyweds, but it does flame up now and then. As long as you are with your friend, your best friend, you've got something good. Beauty, sex, passion, that all fades. But true love and devotion, never will.

That's how I see it anyway. I told a friend the other day, when she said how hard being in a long distance relationship must be for me, that I don't mourn what I don't have because I could lose what I've got. There's always something worse that could happen.

I just want you to find your happiness, a true friend, a deep love. You deserve that. You deserve an ever after, even if life isn't a fairy tale.

~Lily

9:30 AM  
Blogger emily pound said...

Thanks, Lil :-) for those sweet words.

Julie really hit the nail on the head above when she said that my soul was on a journey, and that is so true. I HAD to leave, there was no choice at the time. Now, things have changed quite a bit. Now I'm on another road. Life can sometimes be a circuitous journey, I guess.

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Gabriella,
What an amazing post. You are right about nobody being perfect, and that it sounds as if he truly loves you.
I wish you all the best in your future. I hope you find true happiness, whether it be with your husband, or on another pathway.
Hugs, Jennie

11:09 AM  
Blogger emily pound said...

Thanks, Jenn! How I've wished that my life would follow one straight, logical path ... instead, it's been more like a pretzel, going this way, then that, then back, then forward, then off into another twist ... I guess it's all about the person on the journey, and not so much the journey itself.

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mentioned that you try to push your husband away. You may want to check out "ACOA" adult children of alcoholics.. people who tend to try and sabotage a relationship come from families that did the same as a result of the disease of alcoholism. good luck!!

11:10 AM  
Blogger emily pound said...

Hi rich,

My parents weren't alcoholics, although my home certainly wasn't free of dysfunction. But thanks.

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home