Thursday, August 17, 2006

Oops

I was wrong. I was checking email this morning and my MSN news thing came on, and I saw a headline about JonBenet Ramsay, about them arresting someone 10 years after her murder. I couldn't believe it. I thought: a) the parents definitely did it or had something to do with it, or b) the case would never be solved. Of course, technically, the guy is innocent until proven guilty, but I don't think they would have arrested the guy after all this time without having a lot of evidence to back it up. Plus, I read that the guy admitted killing her and said it was an "accident". Even said he was really, really sorry. (Like that helps? I guess his confession and remorse will be a factor when it comes to sentencing him.)

Whenever I saw those parents on t.v., I never believed them. They just looked so slick and perfect. I thought for sure the father had killed her accidentally after some rough sexplay, and the mother was either in unbelievable denial about it, or maybe even went along with the sexual hijinks and helped him cover it up. I guess it just goes to show you how easy it can be to convict an innocent person or people, all on appearances, or how you think a person should act after a crime has been committed.

The parents hiring the P.R. firm, the t.v. interviews and appearances ... it just didn't seem to be something I could picture myself doing in that situation. Of course, they were rich, and had the money to hire very good attornies, and were smart enough to follow their attornies' advice.

How tragic it is that JonBenet's mother, Patsy Ramsay, died before they arrested this guy. She went to her grave with most of the world probably thinking she had been involved in one of the most sensationalized, infamous criminal cases in U.S. history. Of course, who gives a shit what people think, she might have thought from time to time, but maybe it tormented her and drove her to an early death. I guess we'll never know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home