Sunday, July 09, 2006

Viva Italiaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!

I am not a sports fan. At all. Once every couple of years, when either the summer or winter Olympics is on, I'll tune in to catch a few events. Or maybe if a World Series game is being played (especially if the Blue Jays or Yankees are involved), I will watch a few innings. But generally, I could care less.

I did not watch more than ten minutes of any World Cup game. But it sure as hell is hard to ignore, when it's going on for a month and that seems to be all anyone is talking about. However, I have to admit, I love World Cup time. It's the one time that everyone is loudly, fervently proud of their ethnicity and I think that's great. Today, when Emily and I were on our way home from up north, and getting on the on-ramp to Toronto, there was a sea of Italian flags waving out car windows, horns honking, people smiling, waving. I'm glad Italy won. I love Italian people, I love Italian food, I love Italian art, and as I was watching the penalty kicks that won them the game, I couldn't help but notice, that the Italian goalie was extremely hot. :-) Way to go, Azzurri!!!!!

What is it about the World Cup that drives people so nuts? I think it's the chance to really express pride in their ethnicity, to shout about who they are. As well they should. I know that Italians everywhere are going to be partying tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home