Thursday, April 06, 2006

My Favourite Bad Boys

Aaaaaaah, bad boys. We all love them. Why? For me, it's the attitude. While nothing can compare to the sweet-hearted, sensitive, intelligent, gentle lifemate I am ultimately searching for, I have to admit I have a soft spot in my heart for swaggering assholes. It's that "fuck you" attitude that they exude that I so adore. I really admire people who have the courage to say what they want and do what they want. So when I see these guys, I have to smile. They kick ass!

Here are some of my faves:

Liam and Noel Gallagher
These two Manchester brothers formed the band "Oasis" and they have been wreaking havoc ever since. Liam is the singer and Noel plays guitar and writes most of their songs. I happen to love Oasis, although I haven't heard their latest cd yet, but as soon as I heard "What's the Story, Morning Glory?" I knew I was hearing something special. These guys are constantly in the press with their shenanigans, for stuff like getting frightfully drunk on airplanes and abusing staff and offending passengers. Liam is by far the more loud-mouthed of the two, and even I have to say his charm wears off pretty quickly. I far prefer Noel, who seems to be a more discriminating and intelligent bad boy, not to mention an awesome songwriter. Long live the Gallagher boys!

Johnny Rotten and Sid Vicious
Leave it to rock and roll to give us the greatest array of bad boys. Johnny and Sid were, of course, members of the Sex Pistols. John was especially nasty, glaring out at the audiences, taunting them from the stage. Poor Sid was more of just a symbol with his leather jacket and track marks. Infamously, of course, the band split and the members went their separate ways. Sid ended up dying at age 21 of a heroin overdose, after murdering his co-addict and partner in doom, Nancy Spungen. What a tragic pair those two were. They were definitely meant for each other, Nancy coming all the way from Philadelphia to fulfill their destiny. I loved the Sex Pistols' music, and I get terrifically pissed off when I hear people say they couldn't play. That is bullshit.

Jack Nicholson
How can anyone help but love Jack, even though he has become a caricature of himself. I'm thinking back to his earlier days, when he starred in movies like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Last Detail, and Five Easy Pieces. Here is where he really stole my heart. He had that swagger that came right from the crotch, and with his mere smile you knew he could just charm the pants off women. He was such a great actor back then. Now he's a legend, with his sunglasses and annual attendance at the Oscars. But he's still cool.

Tony Soprano
Okay, I know he's a fictional character, and I love the actor who plays him, James Gandolfini. But those of us who are Sopranos addicts know that the characters on that show are so believable that they seem like real people, so I've included him on this list. Tony is the ultimate bad boy, isn't he? He's a mob boss, he cheats on his wife endlessly, he beats people up, kills them, extorts money from them, and we still love him. He looks great no matter how much he weighs or what he wears. I think what makes him so lovable is he so often has those bursts of humanity, like going to see his psychiatrist, having momentary lapses of conscience ... come on. He's a teddy bear, even though he's packin'.

These are just a few of my favourite bad boys.

4 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

Maybe I should do a "My Fav Bad Girls" post ;)

2:34 PM  
Blogger emily pound said...

Ian,

Oh, do!!! Please! (Can I be one of them?) :-)

3:26 PM  
Blogger SJ said...

Only if you're extra naughty haha :)

4:20 AM  
Blogger emily pound said...

It'll be fun trying! :-)

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home